Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Daily Decision of Humility

My mom and her husband have a saying when they are trying to get over a big obstacle that I have adopted as my own: ODAT. (One Day at a Time)
So many things in life need to be taken one day at a time. We are simple creatures, and while we sometimes think we can see the big picture, we really can't. Of course, things always seem to make sense to us in retrospect, but I believe the majority of us struggle to see the grander image as we are living through it. Thankfully, God always has a clear vision of the big picture in mind. So what can I do to make sure I am coloring in the lines to His picture as best I can? Live ODAT.

Deployments are scary, because as much as you can try to plan ahead for them, there are some things that you just are not going to be able to forsee. Before my husband left, he did a big shopping trip where he stocked us up on all of the big, heavy items we use from day to day that he knew I would have trouble lifting into the cart and carrying into the house on my own. (I know...what a sweetie!) Currently, I have about 5 economy-sized tubs of laundry detergent from Costco sitting in my coat closet. In theory, this would have been a wonderful blessing for me. But we couldn't forsee the future, and we didn't know that our washer would burn out its motor, smoke out the house, and die only a few months into the deployment. Fortunately, we were able to replace the washer right away. I now have a new, bright and shiny high efficiency washer that is quiet, clean, and eco-friendly...that is not compatible with the five economy-sized tubs of laundry detergent that my husband thoughtfully purchased for me before he left.

That can happen in our walk with Christ, too. For a time we will be humming along just fine. Then all of a sudden one of our motors will burn out. And by the time we get everything back in order, the old way doesn't work for us anymore. I think that is why Jesus specified in the Lord's Prayer that we should ask God to "give us this day our daily bread." I look at this prayer now and my heart translates it, "Lord, help me take it ODAT." Christianity is not a religion; it is a lifestyle. And it is one that I have to make a conscious decision to live out each and every day.

God said to love Him--Some days, I get so caught up in the here and now and the daily grind that I don't even remember to pray at night. Sometimes I feel so far from holiness that I just quit trying altogether. Regardless of how I feel, I still have to choose to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind. Dear Lord, please help me take it ODAT.

God said to love my neighbor--I am part of an Army community. I get new "neighbors" on a pretty regular basis. The first group of moms that I met from my daughter's dance class were wonderful to be around and easy to love. This new group that has moved in is a little harder for me. I still have to choose to love them--even if the some of the people are belittling and mean. Dear Lord, please help me take it ODAT.

God said to serve others--My husband is half a world away, and I am pulling extra duty to hold down the fort for him on the homefront. Some days, I don't know what I am going to serve my own children for dinner, let alone how I am going to find the time or energy to serve other people. And as a busy mom with two young children, it would be alot easier for me to stay at home in my protected cacoon and just worry about how I can take care of our needs and our needs alone. But that's not what God asked me to do as his redeemed follower. Dear Lord, please help me take it ODAT.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this passage in tonight's lesson and I really liked it. Thought I would share it with you.

"Humility is not thinking less of myself; it is thinking more of others.
Humility is not putting myself down; it is lifting God up.
Humility is not denying my strengths; it is being openly honest about my weaknesses.
Humility is seeing that without Christ I can do nothing, but in Christ I can do all things!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We bow our hearts. We bend our knees. Oh, Spirit, come make us humble...
Dear Lord, Help us to reach your vision of humility each and every day, one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment