Thursday, September 8, 2011
One of my favorite songs from Reba's newest album is called "All the Women I am."
Today at my first MOPS meeting I took a personality quiz for an icebreaker game that really got me thinking about all the women I am, and how each new season, life changing-event, and day is allowing me to tack on addition roles.
My highest score with 14 points: The Golden Retriever
Characteristics as follows
1. Always loyal and faithful to friends--I think they would back me on this
2. Listens carefully to others--I talk a whole lot, but I am trying to listen more...and when I do listen, I am all ears.
3. Likes to help others. Feels sad when others are hurt--Guilty...I am probably TOO good at empathizing with people. And I am a cronic helper which has caused me some of my own problems (see my post "No Nonsense")
4. Is a peacemaker. Does not like it when others argue--True. Also makes it really hard to be an Army Wife/woman in general. I am always working lol
5. Patient and willing to wait for something--Hey! Who has heard this quote before? "Hurry up and Wait." Sometimes I think "waiting" is my middle name.
Coming in second place at 10 points: The Otter
1. Talks alot and tells wild stories--I think if it would have said "talks constantly," it would have been a better description :)
2. Likes to do all kinds of fun things--True, of course my opinion of what fun is has changed tremendously after graduating from college and having babies.
3. Enjoys being in groups. Likes to perform--I thrive when I am surrounded by people and all those people are looking at me :)
4. Full of energy and always eager to play--This one might have been a miss. I am totally drained of all energy, yet I schedule my calendar like I have extra to burn
5. Always happy and sees the good part of everything--I think it was just yesterday that I was talking to a hurting friend and told her to "just call me Mrs. Bright Side." Of course, I am a lot better at looking for the good in other peoples' struggles than I am at finding them in my own.
Bronze Medal with 8 points: The Lion
1. Is daring and unafraid in new situations--I am actually very cautioned and terrified of new situations. However, motherhood does bring about scary "firsts" that force you to just dive in-all or nothing.
2. Likes to be a leader. Often tells others how to do things--This makes me laugh. I love being in control. I have no trouble being a boss in my own home, or to my children. But I cower at the thought of leading other peers. I want them to like me too much.
3. Ready to take on any kind of challenge--only if I have to, but darnit, if I have to do it, I'm going to do it right :)
4. Is firm and serious about what is expected--one thing my middle name is not is serious lol
5. Makes decisions quickly--define quickly. Also, does making a decision count if you waver about nine more times after you make it?
Rounding up the rear with 7 points: The Beaver
1. Is neat and tidy and notices little details--my house may look clean, but the lady running it is a hot mess. And I actually am pretty good about noticing little details, but often at the expense of missing the obvious.
2. Sticks with something until it is done. Doesn't like to quit in the middle of the game--This one holds. No one likes a quitter or a flake. Thank you to my parents for instilling this trait in me.
3. Asks lots of questions--I used to hate doing this, but since becoming a mom I have started doing it a lot more. Also, asking questions is a form of talking so I am pretty gung-ho about it
4. Likes things done the same way--This is true. I do not like change. As a mother, I have come to embrace and depend upon routines, and change disrupts the schedule. However, I have also come to embrace that change is inevitiable, and in many cases it is good, so I transition easily too.
5. Tells things just the way they are--Another middle name of mine: P.C. I don't like to hurt feelings and avoid it at all costs. So here's some fun info to tuck into your back pocket...if I am ever rash with you, it is probably because you really deserve it.
I circled a lot of things on that sheet. What I don't like about personality quizzes is that a lot of people take them as a one answer approach. What are you? My answer sheet says a Golden Retriever, but in reality I am really a mutt. And I'll be different things on different days. And sometimes different things in different times of the same day. Motherhood has brought about certain traits in me that I never would have thought I'd possess. So has marriage and adulthood. But it is this mix that drives all the very unique women that I am :)